The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Enough About A Sock.

- I've really had more than enough of the the Great Sock Controversysurrounding Curt Schilling. Schilling does have a massive ego and for that reason I think there may be a but a 2% chance of him faking it but Jesus, who cares. It's not like the Sox-Yanks series this weekend could be any more hyped than it already is.

- Marty Brodeur has as horseshit a game has he possibly could last night and the Devils still only lost by one goal. I don't know whether to read anything into that or not.

- Kobe went for 45 last night and the Lakers won. This blows my theory that he had to score 50 to beat the Suns. The Lakers are still done in 6 though.

- The news of David Halberstam's death earlier this week made me very sad. He was simply a phenomenal writer. Summer of '49 is not just one of the best sports books I have ever read, but one of the best books I have ever read period. It chronicles the Red Sox-Yankees pennant race through their two stars, Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. But it really turns it's eye on post WWII America and the role baseball played in shaping the culture of that era. I went searching for my copy of it this week but seemed to have lost it. It's certainly one book I don't mind buying again however. I also intend to buy Breaks of the Game ,which numerous people I trust have told me is the best basketball book ever written, and does a similar job of chronicling the NBA during a very difficult period in the late 70's through a cultural prism.

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, April 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it could be real but first, consider the source. Shilling is a blowhard who would do just this type of stunt to put himself in the spotlight. Plus, why not change socks or wear a bandage around it if fact the ankle was bleeding. And finally, why didn't the spot get any bigger during the game, especially with all the strain that a fastball pitchers motion would place on a recently sutured ankle ON HIS PUSH OFF LEG no less?

LA had everything working last night right down to All Time Stiff Kwame Brown, and Phoenix couldn't hit a jump shot for 2 quarters. That's the only way they could win a game in this series. I still say it will be their last.

 
At 1:38 PM, April 27, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Why would you put so much thought into a sock? That is my whole point - Who Cares? Schilling has a huge ego, everyone knows that, but who really cares.

It may be the last game thr Lakers win but I still think can win them another one. Kwame Brown is getting better though. It's not his fault the Wiz fucked up and took him first overall. If he went 17th overall we'd be saying how he is really close to breaking out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home