The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wild Card Playoff Preview

If there is anything in sports better than October baseball I am not sure what it is. So here goes with my fearless 1st round predictions. And remember - I don't do this for a living so you shouldn't place any wagers based on my input.

AL

Boston Red Sox vs. Anaheim Angels (I refuse to call them by their extended name)

A few weeks ago I picked the Angels as my favorite in the AL because I thought they were going to finish with the best record and have to face Boston in a 7 game series. But since they are facing the Sox in a 5 gamer I think the Sox have the advantage because they can shorten the rotation and throw Beckett twice at them and Schilling once. The big problem for the Angels is the health of Vlady Guerrero. Without him at 100% they won't score enough runs. There small ball style will also be hampered because spark plug Chone Figgins seems tired and has slumped down the stretch. Boston slugger Manny Ramirez is hurt as well but David Ortiz and Mike Lowell will provide enough offense to get by. The only big problem for the Sox is that DiceK is going to get torched, but he only has to pitch once.

Sox in 4

Cleveland Indians vs. New York Yankees

This is the easiest series of the four to pick. Cleveland has the two best pitchers in the series in C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona. They also have 5 players who hit 20+ homers and can score runs with the Yanks. The Tribe also has the better bullpen and are better defensively. ARod may have a big series but it will not be enough because the Yanks pitching just isn't good enough. And this one won't be an upset no matter how many people are on the NY bandwagon every October.

Indians in 4

NL

Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Chicago Cubs

The NL is a bit tougher to call for me. The Cubs have the worst record of any playoff team but that was because they started out 22-31 and went 63-46 after that. They have a deep offense and an ace in Carlos Zambrano who will go twice in a short series. Their biggest problem will be closer Ryan Dempster who I've never been sold on as a pressure player. The DBacks are young and exciting but their offense is anemic. I really think they are going to have problems scoring at the end of tight games. But if they are leading after 8 innings they have the NL's best closer (sorry Trevor Hoffman) in Jose Valverde. This should be the best series this round.

Cubs in 5 and Ms. Skeelo will be in Chicago this weekend to experience Chicago going nuts. Words can't even describe my jealousy.

Philadelphia Phillies vs. Colorado Rockies

The Rockies are red hot having won 14 of 15 to grab the Wild Card and have a balanced lineup led by Todd Helton and probable MVP Matt Holliday. But they also have a thin bullpen and a so-so rotation after ace Jeff Francis. The Phillies have a stacked lineup with three MVP candidates in Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley but their starting rotation is a question mark once you get past Game 1 starter Cole Hamels. I think the difference here will be the Rockies momentum carry them on. I like the Rockies based on my gut more than anything else.

Rockies in 5

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, October 03, 2007, Blogger mix tape said...

Skeelo, I agree with most of your predictions but I have to call the Tribe in 5 vs the Yanks (it could go either way) and the Phillies in 4, I think the Rockies did very well to earn the wild card but that's where the buck stops.

 
At 2:13 PM, October 03, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Like I said, the Rockies is more of a hunch. On paper the Phils are better I just don't see them winning this series.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home