The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, August 31, 2007

A Sincere Thank You to the Ottawa Lynx



Ms. Skeelo and I had planned to go to one last Lynx game on Wednesday night but they were rained out. Thankfully last night was a perfect evening for baseball and the Simard borthers, Marc and Marty, and I were able to catch the doubleheader that started at 6:05. I am very happy to say I was on hand for the 1000th win in club history in the front end. The Lynx took game 1 with an exceptionally well pitched, blistering paced 90 minute game (doubleheaders are only 7 inning games in Triple A). Pitcher Nick Blackburn was great and got some incredible defense from second baseman Joe Thurston. Thurston has easily been the best player on the team this season. His defensive range is outstanding and he has a strong arm and great hands. He will also finish the season hitting around .300 with a lot of gap power. If he wasn't behind Chase Utley, one of the best 2B in the bigs, he would be in Philly right now. Here's hoping Joe gets traded in the off season.

The first game was so quick I was able to watch the whole second game because it started at 7:55. Even though the Lynx lost 3-2 it was still a great game. The three of us were 6 rows up just to the left of the plate and had a great view of the ump completely blowing the call at the plate on the Sac Fly that scored the winning run for the Red Wings. This prompted Marty to scream Eat Shit in French, a definite highlight of the season. It went 8 innings, which I guess was technically extra innings but the double header was still over by 10:05.

All in all it was a great night. Quite frankly every time I have gone to a Lynx game, and I have been to many over the past 13 years, specifically over the past 6 years since I have lived a 15 walk from Lynx Stadium, it has been a great day or night regardless of whether the Lynx or won or lost. I'm a huge baseball fan and there's nothing like going to a minor league game with the silly between inning events and things like that. So Thank You to the Ottawa Lynx far providing so many great hours of entertainment over the last number of years. It meant a lot to me and Ms. Skeelo as well. I'm not ashamed to say that after the final out last night, while leaving the stadium for the last time, I got a little choked up.


Quick Note: Ms. Skeelo are now headed for our annual holiday of shopping and hiking in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire. Blogging will be sporadic at best as I hope to spend the bulk of next week above teeeline and away from anything remotely resembling work related technology such as cell phones or computers. I'll likely be checking in mid week though.

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, September 02, 2007, Blogger mix tape said...

sucks. was at work late that night.

 
At 8:41 AM, September 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to the game on Saturday, not a bad turnout, but I remember when they sold out the first year and there were actually scalpers hawking tickets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home