The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Horseshit Relief Pitchers 1975-1993.

- Yesterday The Hammer sent me an emergency email looking for the worst of the worst relief pitchers from the era 1975-1993. I stayed at my buddy Reetch's last night in Toronto and we talked about this for at least two hours while watching Entourage. Reetch and I played together and watched endless games together growing up so he was a good guy to help me out. We even did google searches of old team rosters from the time period.

The first name that came to both of our minds was ex-Jay Joey McLaughlin who was so brutal my Mom used to turn off the games when they brought him in because "they are trying to lose on purpose". After a lengthy discussion though Reetch and I both agreed Calvin Schiraldi deserves mention. He's the guy who blew the game 6 lead against the Mets in '86 that lead to Buckner's error.

So I am asking anyone reading this to nominate guys they think are among the worst of the worst for that time.

- Superbad looks juvenile, sophmoric, crude and offensive. And I can't wait to see it now that it has opened today.

3 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, August 17, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

A bit of background to the plea - yesterday, one of the boys with whom I was scheduled to be tipping ales last night pulled the chute, something he is gaining quite a reputation for. I wanted to accuse him of having a low batting average when it comes to quaffing pints with the lads, so I accused him of having a batting average lower than Rollie Fingers. Sadly, Fingers was a minor league hitting champion as the target of my abuse pointed out to me.

Then, I suggested that he was Jeff Reardon-esque. I was then apprised of the likelihood that Reardon was quite probably a fine drinker given his participation in a robbery some time ago.

So, although not a reliever, and likely as poor at hitting the baseball as he was at speaking the English language, I settled on Toronto starter Luis Leal.

Things ended there.

 
At 1:30 PM, August 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reardon was a lights-out stopper for the Expos in the 80s!

 
At 4:35 PM, August 17, 2007, Blogger mix tape said...

Mike Maroth was pretty ass for the Tigers in '03. But that's after '93.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home