The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, August 20, 2007

The Brilliance of John Smoltz.

- Last night John Smoltz passed Phil Niekro to become the Braves all time strikeout leader. Smoltz has to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. In my opinion he actually had better stuff than Maddux or Glavine in their primes. If not for injuries and a move to the bullpen he would also be closing in on 300 wins. And their is no pitcher of the last 25 years I would rather have starting Game 7 of the World Series than Smoltz. His playoff record speaks for itself.

- I wish I'd thought of the Michael Vick chew toy. That's capitalism at it's finest right there.

- I was happy as hell when Sabra was crowned this years winner on So You Think You Can Dance. Of the final four, the others being Lacey, Neil and Danny, I figured she would finish fourth with Neil winning and Lacey second. Sabra was the best combination of talent and performance and was consistently great week after week.

- While staying at my friend Reetch's last week I started dicking around Facebook to see what it was all about using his account (unlike MySpace, you need an account to poke around Facebook). I can now officially say I think Facebook sucks. I spent about 3 hours over the weekend going through it and looking up people I used to know. Then I realized why I don't really know these people anymore - because I've grown up. Anyone over 30 who spends hour after hour on that site for more than a week is the type of person whose life peaked in Grade 12 and is yearning to get back to the glory days.

- With an Ontario provincial election less than two months away I doubt this will be the Dalton's last blatant vote buying scheme. Sorry make that "informed use of taxpayer money" or some bullshit like that.

2 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, August 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smoltz is the goods. 200+ wins 150+ saves and nobody's better in clutch. If the Braves had somebody on their roster who had have the dominance in the post season they'd have 3 or four rings right now. He's a hall of famer for sure.

On another note, American Beauty was on HBO last night. What a great flick! I forgot just how great it was. Kevin Spacey may be the most under-rated actor going. "I'm looking for the least amount of responsibility possible." Or when he says to his wife after she asks where the Camry is "I traded it in for a 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always. I rule!" Classic.

 
At 9:23 AM, August 23, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Mark Wohlers has to qualify as one of the horseshit relievers we were talking about last week. He cost the Braves a couple of trips to the Worls Series.

American Beauty is a classic. One of my favorite scenes is when he is interviewing for the job at the fast food place and trying to prove he is in fact qualified.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home