The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Colts Are Still The Favorite.

- I really don't care how good the Pats have looked to this point in the season but they are not the best team in the league until they beat somebody. They are 4-0 but their opponents are a combined 4-12. The beat the hopeless Jets and Bills, and the completely dysfunctional Chargers and Bengals. Until they beat the Colts later in the season they are #2 for me.

- It would be easy to say that Donovan McNabb is done as a good QB. But I think that would be wrong. His offensive line gave up 12 sacks Sunday night. That can't be all McNabb's fault. He can still play on a good team, he's just not that mobile anymore.

- That was a great ending to the Padres-Rockies game last night in the bottom of the 11th. Too bad I fell asleep after the 10th. And Matt Holliday still hasn't touched the plate. I half to think the umpire got caught up in the moment and just plain blew the call.

- A new TV season is upon us and I have watched a few new shows. The first two episodes of Chuck have been great and I think the show will be a hit. It's from the creator of The O.C., Josh Schwartz, and it may seem a bit familiar. That's because Chuck is basically Seth Cohen all over again accept a few years older and a computer nerd instead of a comic book nerd. Which isn't a bad thing because the character is great. And the main love interest, CIA agent Sarah, played by the crazy hot Yvonne Strzechowski, looks a hell of a lot like Olivia Wilde who had a run on Season 2 of OC. The characters on this show are strong and with US security secrets in the lead characters head there are plenty of great potential story lines.

I also watched Bionic Woman, which I thought was really good though I'm not sure I will stick with it. The shows premise, a normal woman nearly dies but is saved by being made bionic, doesn't really appeal to me that much. But if you liked Alias you will probably like this one.

- New shows are back too and Heroes has been every bit as good as last year so far. None of the actors will ever admit it but what makes this show great is the writing. It's amazing to me that they can continually write story lines involving so many characters and keep them all entertaining and inter-related. No other show on TV comes close to that right now.

- It's hard not to think Barry Bonds is not done. I really don't see an AL team making him their DH because he's just to big a pain in the ass.

- Am I the only one having a hard time caring about the Ontario Election? I see virtually no difference between John Tory and Dalton McGuinty. It's essentially mushy middle vs. mushy middle. No self respecting conservative can say they really believe in Tory's watered down "where can I spend money next" platform. And the religious school funding was a colossal mistake. If there is a Libertarian in my riding I'm voting for him.

5 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, the Patriots are a great team but let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Colts have owned them the last 3 times they've played. Colts have a better QB, better running backs, and a far superior pass rush. And last I heard they didn't have to cheat to win any games. Plus, any half decent college offense could put up 28 on the Bengals so last night didn't prove anything we didn't already know. New England is very good and Cinci has a terrible coaching staff and a Div. II level defense.

McNabb is dead and buried. The Eagles know it and that's why they used their first pick in the draft to after a QB. The problem is, he thinks it’s because he’s black, everyone else knows it’s because he’s just not very good.

I can't say for sure about that call at the plate last night but it could be justice for those umps taking away a homerun in the 6th off a Rockies player that went 2 rows deep and would have been run #7 which means no extras in the first place. Nice finish by the Rockies though. Win 13 of 14 to close out the year. That's guts. Unlike the Jays who just mailed it in for 60 games.

The Ontario election is a joke. How John Tory calls himself a conservative is beyond me. This guy's never seen 10 bucks he didn't run out and spend. Extend funding for religious schools - are you out of your funkin' mind? If he really wanted to level the playing field they should be retracting all funding for Catholic schools. (Yes I'm aware the provincial constitution outlines funding for both public and Catholic education - but so what - change it) Otherwise you’re just pissing money away. You want your kids to go to a religions school? Find a way to pay for it! Otherwise I’m sure they’ll be just fine in public school.

 
At 3:34 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

I think McNabb is done in Philly but I don't think he is done. He can still be effective on a good team with a decent line. But the Philly fans are going to run him out of town.

 
At 3:49 PM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't totally disagree with you on McNabb there. Trouble for McNabb is, his accuracy is average at best. His strength has always been eluding the pass rush and being tough to take down even when he can't get rid of the ball. I hate to say it but I think T.O. was right. McNabb has no guts and can't lead. Maybe the Raiders will sign him.

 
At 9:07 AM, October 03, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

T.O. is never right about anything and there is no way McNabb is gutless. His teammates love him, he works his ass off and lead the Eagles to four straight NFC championship games and 1 Super Bowl where he puked ont he field and still nearly lead them back.

 
At 12:41 PM, October 03, 2007, Blogger mix tape said...

the Rockies-Padres game ended in the 13th as far as I can remember...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home