The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Playoff Suspensions.

- The NBA suspending Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudemire for one game is crazy. Yes they both left the bench and the letter of the law says they have to get suspended but neither guy threw a punch. Give them each 5 games at the start of next year but don't make them sit out Game 5. The Suns have no chance of winning without these two tonight although I think they will keep it close.

- Chris Pronger does deserve to be suspended after the hit from behind he put on Tomas Holstrom last night. It happened on the ice and he should have to sit Game 4.

- If I were a Sens fan I would be praying the Ducks come back to beat the Red Wings. The Ducks have no offensive depth and despite having Pronger and Neidermayer on the blueline, the Sens would beat them. I don't think the Sens would beat the Wings for two reasons. First, the Wings power play is absolutely lethal and have two units to throw out on it. Second, and maybe more important, is that Hasek has got that unbeatable look right now. I know he's a complete mental case and liable to lose it at any moment, but he will be extremely motivated to shove it up the Sens ass for the way things went last year for him in Ottawa.

- Is Dirk Nowitzki one of the lamest MVP winners of all time? Maybe but let's not get to carried away with who wins the MVP award. It usually goes to the best player on a very good team but it rarely goes to the best player in the league. If it did Jordan would have won 12 of them. And as much as I love Steve Nash and thought he deserved the MVP awards he won, he was never the best player in the league (he is at best 4th behind Kobe, Duncan and DWade).

- I don't plan to see Michael Moore's new "documentary" on the US Health Care System, Sicko. What I am interested in though is how he portrays Cuba's system. I have been to Cuba and they do graduate a lot of Doctors and Nurses capable of practicing anywhere (because they have graduated so many of them most recent grads are cutting open coconuts on the beach for tourists but I digress), but Cuba caters to wealthy Italians and Germans who come to Cuba for treatment to jump the queue in their own countries. If you are a Cuban citizen Good Luck getting medical attention from top professionals in a timely manner, the spots are reserved for tourists with cash. I'm going out on a limb and guessing Moore does not bring that up.

6 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, May 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the time to remind you that you predicted the Sens would lose to every team they have faced so far in the playoffs?

 
At 3:39 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

No need to remind me, I'm aware of it. And under the same circumstances I would pick against them again. Anybody who tells you they knew they were going to play the way they have is absolutely full of shit.

 
At 3:46 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

And by the way, you could have countered my predictions before each series started, the way Diamond Joe did for the NBA playoffs, but didn't.

 
At 4:16 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

I think you touched a nerve, Webber.

 
At 7:00 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Believe me, no nerve struck. Part of being an expert prognosticator is dealing with hecklers. I don't use hahaha or the smily face symbols in email or blogs because that's just gay.

I'm haven't been picking the Sens to lose for the sake of picking them to lose. I hate Vince Carter more than any athlete in the history of the world and I chose his Nets to beat my beloved Raps and then the Cavs.

It's actually more in line with last year when I picked the Oilers to lose each series they were in and they kept surprising me until they almost won Game 7 of the Finals.

At least I'm in good company. The esteemed Pierre Maguirre also picked the Sens to lose each series so far in Sports Illustrated.

 
At 8:58 AM, May 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, I could have countered your predictions at the beginning of every series. But I don't care that much, nor do I claim to be an expert. I just like the Sens. All I was saying is that you seem to refuse to cut them any slack at all.

If that makes me a "heckler", so be it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home