The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Jays Are Done.

- I know it's only May 10th but I'm sad to say the Jays are done for the year after another loss to Boston last night. They are now 9.5 games back of the Red Sox and can't make that up. It's not that I think the Sox are uncatchable (I still have a bad feeling the Yankees are going to make a run) but their starting pitching won't let them fall that much. The Jays just don't have the pitching to make it up. And the Wild Card is coming out of the AL Central so forget that.

- Watching Sportsnet Connected recently leaves me with one conclusion - Jim Lang is the biggest knob in Canadian sports broadcasting (I still like Mike Toth for some reason though). I'd be interested to know who else might qualify in your opinion.

- Curt Schilling's blog is actually pretty good. I think his ego is almost as big as Roger Clemens' but he is a pretty bright guy. I find it fascinating that he reveals what he tries to do with some specific hitters in the AL.

- I'm not sure as many people are watching The Trailer Park Boys this year, but the Sebastien Back cameo a couple of weeks back was absolutely hysterical.

- NASA has discovered the hottest planet known to man. Surface temperatures reach as high as 3700 degrees F (similar to Ottawa in July when the humidity kicks in). Al Gore has not yet been reached for comment.

4 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, May 10, 2007, Blogger David said...

Jim Lang is up there. How a man who is cross-eyed ended up on television is beyond me. Is he still sporting that upside-down horseshoe mustache?

Biggest knob in Canadian sports broadcasting: Brian Williams , hands-down. Somebody should staple this guy's hands to the desk. He gestures so wildly I'm afraid he's going to take out a camera lens.

Honourable mention: Don Whitman, Elliot Friedman, and Michael Landsberg.

 
At 12:04 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

I've often wondered to whom Friedman had to sell his soul to have the rapid career arc he has had. That said, he knows basketball better than most in Canada.

 
At 12:54 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger David said...

A few years ago, my softball team played a team from the Score. Friedman and Gord Stellick spent the whole game talking about sports, as though they were still in the studio. Really nice guys, but the worst kind of sports nerds I've ever met. I think Friedman would be more tolerable if he stopped jutting out his chin and dropped the Thurston Howell III speech affectation.

 
At 1:17 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

One of my favorite Leaf moments was when Stellick was still GM back in the 80's. After a Leaf game he was on a call in show on TSN and a caller asked "Hey Gord, Do you suck Ballard's cock?"

When your team hasn't done squat in 40 years that's the type of stuff you have to laught at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home