The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

NHL Conference Finals Preview.

I went 2-2 in the second round to bring my total to 9-3. But now that it is over 20 degrees here, baseball is in full swing and local golf courses are open and in decent shape, I may watch about 15 minutes of the conference finals. So my level of analysis here matches my interest level.

As an aside, I think the NHL should shorten training camp to two weeks (everybody shows up in shape now and each team only has two or three roster spots available), start it the last week of August and get the regular season started in mid-September. You could have the season wrapped up by the middle of May which would be better for everyone.

Eastern Conference

Buffalo Sabres (1) vs. Ottawa Sabres

The Sabres defense is better than Pittsburgh or Jersey who Ottawa has beaten so far.

Buffalo in 7

Western Conference

Detroit Red Wings (1) vs. Anaheim Ducks (2)

Detroit in 7

6 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, May 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you really won't cut the Sens any slack eh? You really think the Sabres team defence is better than the Devils?

 
At 10:01 AM, May 09, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Yes I do. Deeper and faster. The Devs defense is not the same one that had Neidermayer and Stevens.

As for cutting the Sens slack, I have said before they seem to be a different team this year. But that doesn't mean the Sabres are not better. The Sens may win the series but certianly shouldn't be favored to win.

 
At 7:19 AM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

The playoffs are only half over and you're already tapping out?

Very poor.

Devs allowed 201 goals in the regular season while Buffalo allowed 246.

 
At 8:41 AM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

Why is it very poor that I am tapping out? I think the hockey has been lousy, none of the teams left interest me that much and I have better things to do on a nice May evening than sit in my basement watching it. Don't you?

The Devils gave up fewer goals because they have a better goalie and play a more defensive style. Their defense was a lot slower than Buffalo's and the Sens walked right aorund them. The Sens won't be able to do that as much against Buffalo depsite the fact that the Sens top line is playing out of their minds right now.

 
At 6:59 PM, May 10, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

Potentially witnessing sports history in the making while living in one of the cities involved in the conference finals? No, I don't have anything better to do than that.

I would also humbly suggest that Skeelo discussing the Ottawa Senators with any pretense of objectivity is akin to me doing the same with a prediction regarding the box office take of the next Michael Moore "documentary".

 
At 8:46 AM, May 11, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

I disagree completely with your notion that I can't speak of the Sens objectively. You and I both sat together during game 1 of the first round and said the Senators have a brutal playoff history.

There is no denying the Sens do have a history of gagging. I have also said as the playoffs progressed that they look like a different team and are playing extremely well. As I pointed out, however, the Sabres had 113 points in the regular season and have proven themselves over the course of the year to be the better team. I try to look at each series as it comes up and make a prediction. The Sens may very well win this series, and if they do I will pick them to win the Cup because I think Detroit and Anaheim are both flawed teams.

As for my lack of interest, it has more to do with the fact that Ottawa only has about 10 weeks a year of good weather and I prefer to take advantage of it outside as opposed to sitting in my basement. I'm quite happy to watch the highlights on Sportsdesk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home