The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Sex and The City Sucks!

I had a conversation with a female friend of mine a while back that was similar to conversations I have previously had with other women. The argument came over the show Sex and the City. My contention is that it was really never a good show and that no self respecting straight guy would ever like it. Most women have told me they know plenty of guys who like the show and I said, and still say, any guy who says he likes this show is a)gay or b)lying through his teeth to impress the girl he is talking to. Now I will admit that every straight guy is in love with Kristin Davis who plays Charlotte, but that is nowhere near the same thing as loving the show.

For the record I think the show was never very good because Cynthia Nixon and Kim Cattrall are both bad actresses, Charlotte was annoying most of the time, the writing was simplistic and repetitive, and contrary to popular belief, Sarah Jessica Parker displayed horrid fashion sense on the show. And any show that has a goof like Chris Noth as the main romantic lead is in big trouble.

7 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Road Hammer said...

Funny, that.

I found that my seething hatred of this show was through the roof when I was solo, but now that I am a happily married man, I find it quite amusing (and not because my wife watches it - she doesn't).

 
At 8:59 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Skeelo said...

Yeah, I find it amusing at times as well but more in the "I can't believe this show was so popular" kind of way.

 
At 10:12 AM, December 01, 2006, Blogger mix tape said...

It's interesting how a generation of women have watched this show and have adopted many of the show's social etiquettes (towards men). Any smart woman would find this show amusing rather than a lesson a life.

 
At 9:30 PM, January 31, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make an excellent point. I know a few men though who watched the show and enjoyed it. They mistakenly viewed it however as an insight into the female mind. It's about as much an insight into the way we think as a Ken doll is a guide to male anatomy.

I watched the show and enjoyed it for what it was; light entertainment with some pithy observations. I also secretly rejoyced that I wasn't a desperate 30 something single and have enough self respect not to sleep around.

The show isn't intended to be taken seriously. The characters are wild exaggerations of their real life counterparts, hard working women who strive to be taken seriously in a masculine world.

I did like Carrie's wardrobe though

 
At 6:59 PM, May 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any guy who says this show is "entertaining", or "amusing", is covering up their latent homosexuality, or has given up on probably most everything else in their life. Having Kim Cattral, who is 52, and the rest of the over the hill yentas, thats right Sarah Jessica Parker is 43, playing sex symbols is an outright joke. The only comfort I take out of the whole show is it were reality they would all be going through menopause by the time the shut the f up and decided to do something with their lives, and could not procreate.

 
At 12:48 AM, June 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now. I hate how just because a woman is over 40 she can't be viewed as a sex symbol. There are a lot of bangin' hot mature ladies out there! Why is it that women of all ages seem to find older male actors like Sean Connery hot, but so many people rip on older female actresses? Double standard! Some women age very well and look awesome in their 40's and beyond. Maybe you don't find them appealing, but that doesn't mean no one will.

I do hate the show, though. It sucks because it's an empty show with materialistic undertones. I always found it annoying.

 
At 4:15 PM, June 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is not a sex symbol, because we grade on a scale, and Jessica Alba gives a man an erection, whereas Sarah Jessica Parker leaves a man flacid for a week.

We men haven't made Sean Connery into a sex symbol. He's a sex symbol in your world, because you women still wants to fuck him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home