The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Monday Musings.

I was never a big Guns N' Roses fan. I thought they were a decent band, no more, no less. But full marks to them for cancelling a show in Maine because they couldn't get pissed on stage. Now if they had just been honest and called this the "We Need The Money Tour" I would be happy to buy two tickets and give them to a pair of homeless guys.

I think the Colts are going to run the table this year, at least in the regular season. They learned last year that letting up to rest for the playoffs is a bad idea. The game they are most likely to stumble in is week 14 at Jacksonville. The Jags always play the Colts tough. I still think the Ravens will beat them in the playoffs though.

And I think the Ravens will be playing the Bears in the Super Bowl. Watching them tear through the Giants in the second half last night and all but locking up home field advantage showed me how good they really are. They won't get beat in Chicago in the playoffs. Watching last night's game also made me realize that Eli Manning is completely overrated. If his last name was Jones or Smith he would have been a 5th round pick, not 1st overall.

Everything you need to know about the Bengals was on display on the sidelines with about 4 minutes to go in their loss yesterday. After blowing a 28-7 halftime lead and trailing by a touchdown with the Chargers pounding the ball and running out the clock, the cameras caught "star" wideouts T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson laughing on the sidelines. I'm surprised nobody grabbed these two by the throat and choked the shit out of them. But Johnson caught 11 balls for 260 yards and 2 TD's so in his eyes the day was a success despite losing. That's why the Benglas are such a bust this year.

If Gary Sheffield had been traded anywhere but Detroit I'd say it would turn into a disaster. But Shef loves Jim Leyland and Leyland won't put up with him being a pain in the ass. Leyland reminds me of Whitey Herzog in that he can call his players every name in the book and they still love him.

I'm thrilled with the Leafs start this year. I don't know that Raycroft can keep playing as well as he has but here's hoping. Making the playoffs would be more than I expected this year.

Finally, it's voting day in Ottawa today. I'll be voting for Larry O'Brien. Though I still say the anybody but Alex Munter strategy should be in affect.

3 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Road Hammer said...

Stupid law. More to the point, though, this farce is no more Guns n' Roses than Sebastian Bach (the opening act for the tour) can claim to be Skid Row.

 
At 11:08 PM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejoice - the blessed people have Ottawa have finally made a good choice for mayor. Well done, Skeelo.

 
At 8:30 AM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Skeelo said...

You're right, but at least they still have Axel.

Yes, I'm tickled with last nights election result. As a friend of mine said last night - O'Brien promises no tax increase but it will end up at about 2% which is better than Munter promising 8% and bringing it down to 5%

 

Post a Comment

<< Home