The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, October 05, 2009

NHL Preview.

I still watch a lot of hockey but I am not as into it as I used to be so here comes a pretty bare bones preview.

Note: This is actually more bare bones than I intended. I did this on Sunday but blogger ate most of it somehow so only part of it got saved. And now I just can't be bothered.

Eastern Conference

1. Boston Bruins Not much drop off for these guys and they will beat the hell out of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo all year within the division.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins I would pick the Pens first but I think they will come out of the gates so fast that they will go on cruise control the last 20 games while resting for the playoffs.

3. Washington Capitals Fun as hell but I am not sold on their goaltending.

4. New Jersey Devils Marty Brodeur is healthy and that's all I need to know.

5. Philadelphia Flyers Pronger was born to wear that uniform

6. New York Rangers

7. Tampa Bay Lightning Stamkos matures and Hedman is great from day 1.

8. Carolina Hurricanes

9. Buffalo Sabres

10. Toronto Maple Leafs They have improved on defence but they still can't score goals.

11. Montreal Canadians Too damn small.

12. Ottawa Senators It is going to be a very long year in Ottawa. The Kovalev signing will be a disaster and I suspect Alfie will be looking for a trade at the deadline.

13. Florida Panthers

14. Atlanta Thrashers Kovalchuk will look good with the Penguing next year.

15. New York Islanders At least Tavares will be fun to watch.

Western Conference

1. San Jose Sharks Another President's Trophy and another 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

2. Detroit Red Wings You keep waiting for them to take a step back and they never do.

3. Anaheim Ducks Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan are the best line in the West.

4. Calgary Flames

5. Chicago Blackhawks I see this team taking a step back. I am not sold on their goalies and I thin kthey lack maturity. Everyone sees them as a Cup contender but I don't.

6. St. Louis Blues Last year was no fluke, these guys are good. Also look for Paul Kariya to have a big year and make the Olympic team.

7. Vancouver Canucks Luongo needs to carry them in the playoffs this year because he hasn't done so yet.

8. Los Angeles The surprise team in the west.

9. Dallas Stars

10. Columbus Blue Jackets I'm still trying to figure out why Rick Nash re-upped here.

11. Nashville Predators I predict the Preds will be playing elsewhere in two years.

12. Minnesota Wild

13. Edmonton Oilers Pat Quinn will help but there is very little talent here.

14. Colorado Avalanche

15. Phoenix Coyotes The off ice soap opera has to be a huge distraction for these guys. I see a historically bad season ahead. I don't think they will get passed 65 points.

Stanley Cup - Penguins over Red Wings again

Hart Trophy - Sidney Crosby
Art Ross - Sidney Crosby
Vezina - Marty Brodeur one final time
Norris - Chris Pronger will have a monster year in Philly
Calder - John Tavares

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home