The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

NFL Week 2

A couple of things before I get into this weeks picks:

1. Anybody who thinks Jay Cutler is the Bears ticket to the Super Bowl is going to hate this guy by December. As a Broncos fan I have watched a lot of this guy over the past couple of years and trust me, the guy is not a winner.

Cutler has a great arm and big body but he is a complete goof who won't listen to anyone. He's also got the Brett Favre syndrome where he thinks he can jam any throw into his receiver because his arm is so strong. That leads to some god awful interceptions as you saw last week against Green Bay. There is no way Cutler lasts three years in Chicago.

2. Anybody who thinks Brett Favre is the Vikings ticket to the Super Bowl is going to eat their words at the end of the season. All Favre has to do is hand the ball off to Adrian Peterson 35 times a game, throw one TD and not turn the ball over. That will work for about 9 or 10 weeks. Then Favre's ego will take over and he will wreck this team. He is essentially football's version of Roger Clemens minus the steroids - it's all about Favre. There is now way he will allow Peterson to have the spotlight in big games down the stretch. Favre will throw at least three picks in a late season game that the Vikes need to win to get into the playoffs or if they get into the playoffs. Either way Favre is killing their season and it is going to be great to watch him make an ass of himself.

As for Favre's greatness it is up for discussion. The media loves the guy so they always say he is one of the 5 greatest QB's of all-time. Horseshit. He's not in the top 5 of his own era. I'll take Montanta, Elway, Brady and Peyton Manning over him in a heartbeat. I would also take Marino over him too. Yes Favre won a Super Bowl but he had Reggie White on defense, if Marino ever had a Reggie White he would have won a Super Bowl too. Give Ben Roethlisberger another couple of years and he will be better than Favre too. I'm not even sure I would take Favre over Steve Young at his best. Favre is great but sure has hell not top 15 all-time.


Last week I went 8-8, which frankly I was happy with to start the season.

Week 2

Raiders +3 over CHIEFS The Chiefs are awful until they prove otherwise.

Texans +7 over TITANS The Texans are better than they showed last week and Titans are worse.

Patriots -4 over JETS I actually think this is a pretty good Jets team but they pissed off Brady. Not a good idea. Though this is my most nervous pick of the week.

PACKERS -9 over Bengals I just can't take the Bengals on the road. I just can't.

Vikings -9.5 over LIONS Like I said last week, I am betting against the Lions every game this year. So far I am 1-0.

Saints PK over EAGLES Drew Brees is a machine. When are people going to start realizing how good this guy is?

FALCONS -6.5 over Panthers I think the Panthers will rally around Jake Delhomme. It just won't be enough on the road against the eventual division winner.

REDSKINS -10 over Rams By the end of the year the Rams may be worse than the Lions.

JAGUARS -4.5 Cards I think the Jags suck but I don't like a west coast team with a 1pm eastern start time.

Seahawks +1 over 49ERS I am pretty sure the Florida Gators would go 8-0 in home and homes vs. the NFC West.

Bucs +4.5 over BILLS Don't let last week fool you, the Bills are a 3-13 team.

BRONCOS -3.5 over Browns Last week's winning touchdown was a fluke for the Broncos but them winning the AFC West this year won't be a fluke.

Ravens -3 over CHARGERS When does Norv Turner lose his job? This team is soft and about to lose a lot of identity with Ladainian Tomlinson being phased out of big moments.

Steelers -3 over BEARS As per my comments to start this post, Jay Cutler vs. the Steelers D? Are you kiddin'?

COWBOYS -3 over Giants Home field don't mean much anymore but Dallas should be pumped for the first home game in that shrine to Jerry Jones.

Colts -3 over DOLPHINS This has more to do with how bad the Dolphins will be this year (6-10 bad) vs. how good the Colts will be this year (to be determined but I see them winning the division and getting bounced on wild card weekend).

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, September 21, 2009, Anonymous Diamond Joe said...

I knew I should have bet the Cards heavily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home