The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Baseball Observations

As we approach the 100 game mark I wanted to take a look back at what I thought and predicted at the start of the year versus how I think things will play out the rest of the year.

As for AL Predictions I am not too bad. The Red Sox are 2 back of the Yanks and I am not at all worried that they won't win the division. Nor am I worried that Tampa won't win the Wild Card. The Red Sox were due for a bad stretch and this was it. Having DiceK on the shelf certainly doesn't help but their starting pitching is still the best in the division and they have the best bullpen by far. The Yanks pitching is eventually going to kill them (quick note: has it occurred to anyone that the reason the new Yankee Stadium is seeing so many home runs is because the Yanks pitching is not great and their lineup is stacked with guys who hit bombs?) but they will still continue to hit. As for Tampa they scare the hell out of me as a Red Sox fan. Now that Kazmir has settled down and Price is back up they could go on a 21-4 run just about anytime. Though me predicting Pat Burrell would hit 40 dingers is looking pretty stupid.

Despite the fact Detroit is leading the Central I still think the Twins can win it though I won't be surprised if Detroit hangs on. They are finally close to what they were when they made their World Series run a few years ago. And I am sticking with my Justin Morneau MVP pick.

As for the West the Angels are about to run away with it so that pick was safe.

In the NL I am surprised how good the Dodgers have been, especially without Manny in the lineup for 2 months. Their pitching has been fantastic and see no reason for that to change. Don't get me started on how bad my Wild Card pick D'Backs are. I honestly can't believe how bad they are. I thought the real team was the one that made the run to the playoffs two years ago, not the one that stunk last year. Apparently not.

In the East the Phillies are just going to run away and hide. They are clearly the best team in that division and have nothing to worry about in the Mets or Braves.

I may have rocks in my head but I still think the Cubs are going to win the Central. As terrible as they have been they are still only one game out in what is clearly the most pathetic division in baseball. The Cubs are bound to get hot at some point, they are too talented not to rip through that division. But I do think the Cardinals will end up with the Wild Card. Albert Pujols was pretty obvious choice for MVP and there is no way he won't win it (another post on him is coming very soon).

So how does this all shape up for October. I am sticking with the Red Sox to win again after beating the Rays int he ALCS, but I think they are going to beat the Phillies in the Series. For some reason I just see the Dodgers lineup going south against the Phils again in the NLCS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home