The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Diamond Joe Gets It Right and Other Stuff

- A few months ago I scoffed at the idea of Hillary as Obama's running mate and wondered who it might be. Well full props to Diamond Joe for calling it as Joe Biden.

I have to admit the novelty of Obama has completely worn off for me. I like the fact that he is a relative newcomer and has not been completely corrupted by the Washington system and think he portrays a good image internationally (important considering the trained chimp currently in the White House). But I'm now convinced he knows jack shit about any of the actual issues. He is clearly trying to win this election as a Rock Star candidate. Is the US ready to elect a Rock Star President? Or a black President? I think the answer to both those questions is yes but my gut tells me the answer to will they vote for a Black Rock Star President is no. It's too early to predict but I think McCain is going to win.

- A sad goodbye to Bernie Mac who was one of my favorite actors. I loved The Bernie Mac Show and I thought he was the break out star in the Ocean's movies. I always thought he would be a great dramatic lead and Steven Soderberg had said he would love to direct him in such a role. Unfortunately we will never get the chance to see it.

- A sad goodbye to Leroi Moore of The Dave Matthews Band. There is not a current band going that can come within a country mile of the DMB is terms of instrumental ability and Leroi was probably the best in the group. The best live show I have ever seen is still the DMB at Arrow in Hall in Toronto in April/98.

- It serves me right for stopping to pick Padraig Harrington to win majors about a year and a half ago. Then he goes out wins three of the last 6. The best thing about him winning the British and PGA is that he had already one 1 and no jackass will say they deserve an asterisk because Tiger wasn't there.

The next guy to win his first major will be Sergio. He is so damn close. As I said before he just needs a good week putting to win because he hits the ball better than anyone tee to green. He is starting to mature too and isn't throwing the tantrums he used to. He is going to win at least 5 majors in the next 7-10 years and probably more because he can own the British for a while due to the consistently slower greens.

3 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, August 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way I would have guessed McCain's choice though. I can't decide if it's briliant or crazy. She'll be a hit with the bible thumpers and the Hilary crowd but that's it. What ever happened to the number one consideration being the ability to take over if the Prez goes down? Shouldn't a fossil like McCain consider that before picking someone with virtually no experience?

 
At 3:05 PM, September 05, 2008, Blogger Skeelo said...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Playing the percentages you have to figure their is a 50% chance he will die within 2 years of taking office. No way she can lead the country. Very strange. I'm in New Hampshire right now and nobody here can quite figure it out either.

 
At 12:13 PM, September 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard (from a Democrat mind you) that they're touting her experience on the PTA as an example of her leadership skills. The Demo in question noted that at least she can bake brownies if McCain dies. I countered that it was a rather unnecessary comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home