The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The PGA Championship

Despite the ridiculous "Glory's Last Shot" tag given the PGA (nobody does taking yourself way too seriously like the PGA) I will probably end up watching a lot of it this weekend.

I see another first time Major winner this week and I think it's going to be Lee Westwood. He's been playing really well this summer and the PGA sets u it's courses a lot like the US Open tries to, just a bit less forgiving.

As for Vijay and Phil, playing well last week was nice but that won't translate into a good finish here. In fact neither one of them will ever win another Major. Vijay because I just think he is to old and Phil because he is such a mess mentally in Majors. He has been bad in them since he threw away Winged Foot and he isn't getting any younger. Don't get me wrong, he'll blow at least two more but he'll never win another one. Young guys on tour like Anthony Kim only care about kicking ass and guys like Vijay and Phil, as well as Ernie Els are going to be the victim of just not wanting it as bad and aging.

2 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, August 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably right, but I'll be rootin' for Phil anyway.

I've heard Weir's name as an underdog lately.

 
At 12:19 PM, August 07, 2008, Blogger Skeelo said...

Weir is putting well so he has a good shot. Apparently the course just has brutal greens, which is part of the reason Sergio and Vijay can't be taken seriously.

I can't remember who I saw say it earlier this week but they said Phil is basically a 15 year younger version of Greg Norman. No matter what success he has and how many tournaments he wins he is always going to be remembered for his failures. I don't think it's fair to either of them but it's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home