The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Few Quick Sports Thoughts & One On Oliver Stone

- If you're looking for more thoughts on potential Manny trades go somewhere else. He ain't gettin' traded.

- I love that the Packers are screwing over Brett Favre. Let's not forget he screwed them over every off season for the past few years. I absolutely see why they are doing it too. Say Favre comes back, starts for them and has a great year. He would only do the same will he or won't he bullshit next year.

Here is the question you need to ask if you feel bad for Brett - Why aren't any teams making a run at him when all it would take is a 2nd round pick? Because teams realize that last year was his first decent year in over 3 years that's why. And Favre is also annoying and a diva and everyone is finally starting to realize that. Not that most quarterbacks aren't divas, they just don't try to dictate their own terms when they are 38 years old.

- I actually like the Houston Rockets picking up Ron Artest. The Rockets have a team of solid character guys like Shane Battier, and stars like Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming who are also good guys. Artest also loves coach Rick Adelman and should be pretty well behaved.

Artest still doesn't really have a clue though, at least judging on his rebuttal to Yao's comments about him going into the stands in Detroit. When Artest says thing like "I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto" and "If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed" he's not exactly showing much contrition is he? David Stern must just love that. Not to mention prominent black figures in sports media like Michael Wilbon who speaks out and fights against that kind of ridiculous stereotype every day.

- What in the fuck were the Tigers thinking giving Pudge Rodriguez to the Yankees for the all but useless Kyle Farnsworth? Seriously. What The Fuck!
It's not like the Tigers can't win their division. Even if the didn't want to be on the hook for Pudge's contract they could have got a hell of a lot more for him. He was still hitting .295 and handles a pitching staff better than any catcher in the the league. Unless he threatened to kill one of his teammates I will never figure this one out.

- If there is one place Kwame Brown can finally get his career on the right track it is with the Pistons. I'm shocked they gave him $8 million over two years but they helped turn Ben Wallace into an all-star and Chauncey Billups into one of the best guards in the NBA so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. The Pistons are probable the most professional group of players in the league, and that includes Rasheed Wallace who has grown up a lot, and I can see Brown becoming a pretty good defender/rebounder for them.

- I see that conspiracy movie hack Oliver Stone is directing a biopic about the life and Presidency of George W. Bush. I have no doubt that this will be an unbiased, well researched, rhetoric free, critical look at the last eight years. I also have no doubt Bigfoot is going to stroll down from the Scottish Highlands and strangle the Loch Ness Monster any day now.

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, July 31, 2008, Blogger Road Hammer said...

Despite a record that most died in the wool lefties should love - sky-high deficits, an unprecedented expansion of entitlement spending via the prescription drug benefit, and considerable attention to Stephen Lewis's pet cause of AIDS in Africa - there are times over the past eight years when I have been guilty of being the biggest W fan north of the 49th parallel.

That said, I think this Stone flick should be a good laugh if only because his subject matter this time out is impossibly entertaining. I can't think of a more authentically human US pol than W since at least FDR.

 
At 9:28 AM, August 01, 2008, Blogger Skeelo said...

Oh I didn't say it wouldn't be entertaining. How could a Stone movie about W not be entertaining? I just said it is not going to be the least bit flattering or unbiased.

I'll start by saying I actually kind of like W too and I would have voted for him twice (though that has as much to do with Gore and Kerry being twits).

But saying he is authentically human is a polite way of saying he is dumber than a third grade special ed student. He has also done a great job of giving the impression that he would sit down with you to down pints in a pub. He absolutely wouldn't do that, but at least he gives the impression he would.

As for the FDR comparison (well kind of comparison, I don't think you were directly comparing them) I really don't see Bush as the Fireside Chat type. He's got some pretty serious baggage from his past, which is what I assume you mean by "human". Those were of his own making, whereas FDR's polio was not his doing.

Bush has been a lot of things but unfortunately a good President has not been one of them (and keep in mind I said I actually like the guy). Even his staunchest supporters would have to be brainwashed to argue that the last five years have been good to W. I think he did an excellent job leading the country after 9/11 (can you imagine wat Gore would have done? I think next to nothing is the answer) but it's been a mess since for a lot of the reasons you pointed out to start your comment. It's obviously too early to tell but I think history will actually be kinder to him 50 years from now, because of what he had to deal with in 9/11, than people are now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home