The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

NFL Wild Card Weekend

Well after a less than stellar 6-9-1 last week left me at a less than stellar 122-129-5 for the year we march onwards towards the playoffs. And if I nail all 11 I end up over .500 for the year. So that's just what I'll do.

AFC

(5) New York Jets +2.5 at (4) Cincinnati Bengals

I don't like either of these teams. The Bengals can't score enough to play from behind but luckily for them the Jets can't score at all. You can right off the Jets hot finish because they played bad Bills and Bucs teams then had wins over the Colts and Bengals when both teams quit. So how does this one go? I see the Bengals defense making Mark Sanchez beat them and wrecking his confidence early. The Jets will run effectively but once they fall behind, which they will, Sanchez will throw some soul crushing INTs. Either way I see the winner of this game losing by 20 next week.

Bengals 17 Jets 9

(6) Baltimore Ravens +3 at (3) New England Patriots

The one thing Ton Brady can do is lead his team. With Wes Welker out I have no doubt he can convince Randy Moss to bust his ass in this one and be the difference maker. But making that happen is something else. The Ravens are the big enigma in this playoffs. To start the year they looked like the best team in the AFC and then they lost at NE due to a dropped pass late. You know their defense is tough and can dominate this game. They will frustrate Brady because they are the one team that can get to him and knock him around consistently. And the Pats, who have been smoke and mirrors all season due to their bad D, are in deep shit without Welker. It comes down to the Ravens offense. Can they catch the ball and put up points? I say they can and will hand the Pats their first home loss this season.

Ravens 24 Patriots 17

NFC

(5) Green Bay Packers +1 at (4) Arizona cardinals

I said last week that I could see either of these teams making the Super Bowl or losing by 3o this week and I still stand by it. The interesting thing here is that the Packs away record is better than the card home record so home field doesn't mean much. If the Cards hadn't made the Super Bowl last year I would give them no chance but they did so they no how to win in the playoffs. I also think Kurt Warner is scary as hell in a tight game. As much as I would love to see Green Bay go into Minnesota and knock off the Vikings I don't think they will get the chance.

Cards 31 Pack 28

(6) Philadelphia Eagles +4 at (3) Dallas Cowboys

As putrid as the Eagles looked last week I don't think that matters that much. They fell behind early and decided to stop throwing down field and I don't see that happening again. The Eagles are also 7-0 in their first playoff games with Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. The Cowboys on the other hand are hopeless in the playoffs and I am still not sold on the Tony Romo/Wade Phillips combo. As good as the Cowboys defense is playing I just think a couple of turnovers will give the Eagles great field position and that will be the difference.

Eagles 27 Cowboys 17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home