The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

NFL Conference Title Games

Another 2-2 last week and I should have known better. The Cowboys and Chargers each returned to their badly coached choking ways and I should have seen that coming. Oh well.

I have to say that I am absolutely pulling for a Colts-Saints Super Bowl. That is the most interesting match up to me and since I am going to be in Vegas with Diamond Joe and TBone to watch it it would be even more awesome. How could anyone not be rooting for the Saints to get there? Will all they have been through since Katrina no team in pro sports is more important to the identity of the city. And with the Colts you have Peyton Manning looking for title number 2, which to me puts him ahead of Tom Brady in the Which One Is Better Argument.

AFC

New York Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts

Two things to keep in mind. First the Jets backed into the playoffs when the Colts and Bengals rolled over in weeks 16 and 17. They then beat a deer in the playoff headlights Bengals and a perennial choker in the Chargers. Second the Jets are built on running the ball and defense, just like the Ravens who the Colts beat with ease last week. I'm sorry to all you Jets fans but this one won't be close. Each time the Colts had the ball in the first match up they did whatever they wanted and I don't see that changing. Manning is the best in the league in picking up blitzes and throws the ball so quickly that he rarely gets sacked. He also has too many receivers for the Jets to stop. Revis may shut down Reggie Wayne but that means Clark and Garcon have huge days. And on the other side of the ball the Colts defense is lightning fast and will get to Mark Sanchez. The Jets will have to force at least 4 turnovers to win and I don't see any way that happens. And you know the Colts want to bury them after the Week 16 mess.

Colts 31 Jets 10

NFC

Minnesota Vikings vs. New Orleans Saints

Brett Favre has had a fantastic year. As much as I hate him I can't argue otherwise. But Drew Brees has been better and will be today. The Vikes have been a bad road team this year and playing in the SuperDome is going to be really hard on their defense. I thing they are going to get a couple offside penalties early and then have a hard time getting off the ball due to the crowd noise. I don't see them getting a lot of pressure on Brees and him having a huge day. I also think Reggie Bush, the Saints X Factor, is going to be huge again. Bush is a big game player since his days at USC and is one of those guys who needs the spotlight. Well he has got it here. As for Favre I think he has a really bad game, the type I have predicted would kill the Vikes all year. The Saints have a fast, opportunistic, ball hawking D that is going to force Favre into those panicked INTs he always throws into double and triple coverage. And with the saints scoring early and often the Vikes will have to rely on him because they won't be able to run all day with Adrian Peterson. If this game were in Minny I might like the Vikes, but I have been saying all year the home field advantage is just to too much to overcome in the Big Easy.

Saints 35 Vikes 17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home