The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

World Series Preview

I got both the LCS' wrong so this has not been a banner postseason so far. Let's hope I get the World Series right because I am not even sure I'll be watching much of it. As much as I think these two teams are evenly matched and were the best teams in their respective leagues all year, I think the October 28 start date is going to create some horrendous weather conditions and some potentially bad baseball (the reason I may not watch much). Not to mention that with potential rain/snow outs this thing may not end until Christmas.

Yankees vs. Phillies

Both teams have been blessed with playing teams to this point that have played poorly against them. Each of these teams has kicked the ball around too, but not a ridiculous amount. This should be a great series because these two teams are so evenly matched. Despite more big names in the Yankees dugout I think the Phils actually have the deeper batting order 1-9 (1-8 in the NL park). ARod is clearly the best hitter in the series but Ryan Howard is not far off. Rollins and Utley are every bit as good as Jeter and Cano and Jayson Werth is better than Nick Swisher. Posada's bat has slowed a lot but his counterpart Carlos Ruiz can't hit a lick unless he is ahead in the count and is looking, and getting, fastball. I think Johnny Damon will have trouble with the good lefties as will Matsui and Texeira. I don't think Raul Ibanez will have as much trouble with the Yankees pitching.

The rotations are close but again I give the edge to the Phils. Cliff Lee and CC are a coin flip (how would you like to be an Indians fan watching Game 1 tonight). I also think Cole Hamels will be great in this series and be a coin flip with Andy Petite. The big difference will be Pedro vs. AJ. Pedro is built for this stage and you know he wants nothing more than to shove it up the Yankees ass in Game 2, which I think he will. With one game being postponed a strong possibility I can see both teams going with a 3 man rotation.

The bullpens are where the big difference is though. The Phils middle relief has been bad and there best hope is JA Happ being lights out against the Yanks lefty bats. The Yanks middle relief hasn't been any good either so they are going to struggle to get key outs too. The real difference between the 'pens, and the thing that will eventually decide this series, in the closers. I am still not 100% confident in Brad Lidge. I think he is going to cost them a game in this series and that will be the difference.

Yanks in 7.

Things to watch for:

- ARod will continue to be great and will win the Series MVP.

- Ryan Howard to hit absolute bombs in Yankee Stadium. With that jet stream in right field he might kill someone in the upper deck.

- Howard to hit Rivera well. Howard's bat is the quickest in the NL and he can get around on Mo's cutter. It won't get in on his hands the way it well on Utley.

- The weather to make a couple of games unwatchable. Balls are going to be thrown all over the place and a lot of double plays will not be turned as a result. And the hitters hands are going to hurt like hell, especially with Pedro running the ball in on guys. Cold weather always favors the pitchers over the hitters.

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, October 30, 2009, Anonymous Diamond Joe said...

OK, I'm two games in but I'm going Phils in 7, maybe 6. A-Rod has it in his head again and will go 3 for 25ish with 1 RBI

 
At 3:36 PM, October 30, 2009, Blogger Skeelo said...

I think the Phils will win 2 of 3 in Philly so they can win it.

I think ARod will be OK. Lee was just awesome in Game 1 and Pedro has always pitched him well. I think he will be fine in Philly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home