The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ray Emery - Headed to a Swedish Hockey Arena Near You!

- A few days after walking out of practice in a pissed off huff and then admitting to sleeping through another practice after his coach covered his ass and said he was sick, Sens about-to-be-former goalie Ray Emery dressed in combat fatigues and rode his snowmobile to practice yesterday.

Someone needs to tell this clown to lay low for a while. I can't see anybody in the league trading for him because he is a complete fool, but more importantly he is a pretty average goalie. He caught lightning in a bottle for a year the way plenty of other average goalies have and helped get the Sens to the finals last year but I have never been convinced he is a cornerstone goalie. He is realistically about 18 months from playing in the Swedish elite league. Which I am sure he will love because I hear Scandinavian women love foreign guys.

- I retract my comment that 812 people watched the outdoor NHL game New Year's day. It had the highest TV ratings in ten years on American cable (which technically still means my guess of 812 may be right). I still think they should do it in February though when the sports schedule is pretty light.

- Kevin Federline and Paris Hilton had to happen eventually didn't it?

- Carson Palmer ripping Marvin Lewis was pretty funny. I think Lewis should be fired but I also think Palmer shares some of the blame. He hasn't progressed at all in two years and is really not much more than a rich man's Eli Manning at this point. And that's not a compliment.

- Toronto is the first city in North America to have 1 million people on Facebook. I think that is partly due to the combination of high population and cold winter causing people to retreat indoors to communicate but there is obviously more to it. I just don't know what because I don't really get the appeal of Facebook. If anyone reading this is on the site and uses it regularly please let me know why. I am not being sarcastic, I am generally interested in knowing what the broad appeal is.

- Remember when everyone used Netscape?

3 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, January 03, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get Facebook or MySpace at all. Nothing against those who do, just not my thing. I do like LinkedIn though. Good content, great for networking and overall good value for anyone in the private sector.

OK I'm a Bengals homer but a rich man's Eli? Nonsense. During this "down year" he still had 4100+ yds, 26 TDs and completed 65% of his passes. Not too shabby for a QB that had no running game behind him and, to your point skeelo, poor coaching all around. The guy's been to two probowls in 3 years. If he throws 5 less pics in 07, he'd be going to his 3rd. Eli has never even sniffed a probowl and has consistently ranked among the leagues worst QBs in virtually all categories since he came into the league.

 
At 7:02 AM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Road Hammer said...

I would be interested to hear why someone who does not work in the private sector wouldn't find LinkedIn to be of good value. I am thinking of throwing a profile up but since I am involved in the taxpayer-funded side of the security and intel business, might it not be worth my while?

 
At 9:17 AM, January 04, 2008, Blogger Skeelo said...

I don't think Diamond Joe was saying it is only good for private sector employees, I think he meant it is just a better way to spend on-line time for professionals than Facebook or MySpace. That would actually be my take on it as well.

Not that I would presume to speak for Diamond Joe.

As for LinkedIn, I think it is a bit overrated to though I am on it. A lot of marketing people see it as a whole new way tp "spread the word" but I don't see that potential at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home