The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Movie Review - "No Country For Old Men"



I saw this movie over a month ago and am only reviewing it now because I was pretty sure I could not keep my gushing to a reasonable length. So I have decided to give it a quick condensed version.

This is the Coen brothers best movie. Better than Blood Simple and better than Fargo. It actually takes elements from both of those films (the simple plot, the small town characters who don't sound too bright until you actually listen to what they say). Javier Bardem (the eerily principled psychopath) and Tommy Lee Jones (the burned out "third generation small town texas lawman") give award worthy performances as does Josh Brolin which was the nicest surprise for me. Woody Harrelson is great in his small but pivotal role as is Kelly MacDonald as Brolin's overwhelmed other half. In fact it would be unacceptable if the cast does not win the SAG award for best ensemble.

The pacing is perfect, the use of music to increase intensity and suspense is spot on and the camera work is first rate. What the Coen's do best however, is use the wide open southwest Texas landscape so well that it is almost its won character and a perfect metaphor for the movie.

I'll stop here by saying I will be buyng this movie the day it comes out on DVD.

Rating - 10/10 though I fully suspect most people will not agree(the Coens are a bit of an acquired taste), especially the final few scenes and ending. Therefore most will still like it but give it an 8/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home