The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The British Open.

I think the British Open is my favorite of the four majors. It's a game that is vastly different than what you see in the U.S. and it's always fun listening to the prima donna pros bitch about the weather and thick hay like grass their balls run off the rock hard fairways into.

So who will win? A lot of people think Tiger will win, while others think he won't. I don't think he will but he will have a strong showing. And if the weather doesn't get ugly I think he could win. He has the creative shots required to play well around the greens. But I think the slow greens brng a lot of other guys into play who traditionally aren't great putters. Which is why I think Sergio Garcia and Vijay Singh will each finish in the top 5. I also think Retief Goosen will finish top 5. And my winner is.....Padraig Harrington. I think it's about time a European won another major and Harrington is playing well right now. If not him then some unknown is going to win. Soemone like Bruce Vaughn. Who? Exactly.

As for Phil Mickelson, I don't think he will contend. Not because of his choke job at the U.S. Open last month, but because this tournament doesn't suit his game at all. He is the prototypical US player whose game is built on long carry on his drives and a short game consisting of tight spin shots. That doesn't work across the pond and he will never win this tournament. But he will win more majors. I think he will shake off the Winged Foot fiasco quite easily and contend at the PGA next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home