The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Conference Championship Weekend

Well I was 2-2 last week but I have to admit that when I guaranteed I would get at least one game right I was 99% certain it was going to be the Cardinals losing to Carolina. And with that.....

AFC Championship

Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers

I think the hardest thing in the NFL to do is beat the same team three times in one season. The Steelers won the first two meetings with the Ravens by a combined seven points and I think this one will be close too. Everyone knows the Ravens have a great defense but what has been little talked about is that the Steelers defense is better. The Ravens have some better individuals like Ed Reed but as a collective unit the Steelers are better. The Steelers are also the better offensive team because they have a more reliable running game (not that the Ravens isn't reliable) and a proven QB. But I don't think Joe Flacco is going to hurt the Ravens at all. In fact I think they should give him more freedom to throw because he's proven he can do it. As hard as it is to beat someone three times everything tells me to go with the Steelers.

Steelers 17 Ravens 13

NFC Championship

If there is one thing you can count on in the NFL it's that once every 76 years the Cardinals will have a great year. You can bank on it. They are as reliable as Haley's Comet. Another thing you can count on is the Eagles leading their fans to the brink of delirium and then throwing up a brutal game to break their hearts. I think this is that game. They are playing in 'Zona, which is an extremely fast track, Cards receiver Larry Fitzgerald (who has proven himself the best WR in the league without question) is better than Asante Samuel who will be covering him and Kurt Warner has been playing with an "I want to go to the Super Bowl to shove it up the ass of everyone who said I was done the past 7 years but I'm too great a guy to say that" thing going right now. And the Cards D has suddenly come to life.

I think the Eagles can keep it close because they do have a strong D that can get to Warner a few times and get pressure on him. I also think Brian Westbrook is going to have a big game more so catching the ball than running. I just don't think it will be enough. The Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl. I assure you that is the first time I have ever written that sentence. Or even thought it for that matter.

Cardinals 31 Eagles 24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home