The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Weekend NFL Playoff Preview

My record in last season's playoffs escapes me right now but I seem to remember it being pretty bad. As for my pre-season pick of Dallas over Seattle in the NFC Championship Game, let's just say that didn't turn out to well.

NFC

Atlanta Falcons (11-5) at Arizona Cardinals (9-7)

The Cardinals were 6-0 within their pathetic division but went 3-7 out of it. The Falcons are probably the best story of the year. The Cards are pretty good at home but the Falcons are half decent (well 4-4) on the road. If you can't tell I am stalling because I have no clue how this game will go.

It's easy to say that the Falcons are at a disadvantage because they have a rookie QB in Matt Ryan and rookie QB's aren't supposed to do well in the playoffs. I never really understood that logic though, and it certainly doesn't apply to this guy.

Winning the division is a great step for the Cardinals but it ends here.

Falcons 27 Cards 20

Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1) at Minnesota Vikings (10-6)

This game bores the hell out of me because it seems both teams did their best to miss the playoffs throughout the year then back in at the end. The Eagles can't run at all and the Vikes can't throw at all so the plays will be pretty easy to call. I think Minny has a defense that is a bit better so I'll go with the Vikes. I also think Eagles coach Andy Reid and QB Donovan McNabb finally get run out of town after this game, whether they deserve it or not (Reid does, McNabb doesn't).

Vikings 21 Eagles 14

AFC

Indianapolis Colts (12-4) at San Diego Chargers (8-8)

The Chargers are a complete joke. A team wit this much supposed talent should not have to win 4 straight just to finish 8-8 and win their division. I think their big problem is a lousy coach (Norv Turner) and a jackass QB (Philip Rivers). I wouldn't be surprised at all if his teammates couldn't stand Rivers. He's not built to handle tough situations and this is a very big game for them. LaDanian Tomlinson looks like he is finally back to normal but we'll see. He better be because that is their only chance.

Peyton Manning has had an incredible year, in a lot of ways his best. He has had to carry this team this year and their 12 wins are incredible given how decimated their defense was and how bad their running game was. I see them as the scariest team in the AFC right now because of him despite how flawed they are. He's certainly not going to let the Chargers end his season two years in a row.

Colts 31 Chargers 17

Baltimore Ravens (11-5) at Miami Dolphins (11-5)

I think this will be the best game of the weekend. The Dolphins are for real and are playing with house money. The Ravens have their traditional tough defense and a better offense than people think. I like Joe Flacco, another rookie QB, a lot and think he is the perfect QB for the Ravens. He can throw down field if needed but seems pretty content right now to keep things simple (I hate the term "manage the game" so I don't use it).

This won will be decided by turnovers and I think the Dolphins will keep the dream season going for some reason.

Dolphins 19 Ravens 16



- Had I been on the ball with this site the past couple of months I would have made the case that Peyton Manning was the MVP this year. As mentioned above he absolutely carried this team to a 12-4 record and 9 straight wins to end the season. And all those wins were close ones that required comebacks are playing with small leads. This is one of those seasons that stats don't tell the whole story for Peyton so I am really glad that today he was awarded his third MVP award.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, January 05, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! 0-4!

I hope you pick'em better in LV

 
At 1:35 PM, January 05, 2009, Blogger Skeelo said...

So do I. That was a pathetic display. Worse than the Dolphons on yesterday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home