The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, December 04, 2006

BCS Is Hear To Stay.

- While a lot of people like to bitch about the BCS, I still think it is the best system out there despite some of it's obvious flaws. I have always argued against a playoff system for college fotball becuase a potential playoff would take away a lot of the meaning from the games played in September, October, and November. Michigan fans can complain all they want about not being in the title game but had they beat Ohio State when they played them they would be. If you went to a playoff they could still have a chance despite losing that game. Keep things the way they are. Regular season games hold a lot of meaning right now as they should.

- Bob Cole is the voice of Hockey Night in Canada and it will be a sad day when he retires (or more likely dies) from the broadcasts. But Bob's not what he used to be and after watching the Leafs-Habs game Saturday night I am convinced that Jim Hughson is hands down the best color analyst working hockey games today. He has a great voice, follows the play well, knows the game, and most importantly knows when to shut up. He's also not trying to come up with new catch phrases a game. I think he's the perfect guy to replace Cole.

- Since I bought my HDTV I have been watching a hell of a lot of NBA games (I have the RaptorsTV channel). Basketball in HD is absolutely awesome by the way but I digress. My point is that there are a few former draft busts who are turning into pretty good players. Kwame Brown will never live up to his first overall draft pick status by the Wizards but he is playing really well for the Lakers. He has finally got into NBA shape and is playing with enthusiasm. He has improved his footwork tremendously and is a lot more aggressive on the boards. He still needs to go to the hole more often but the more Kobe screams at him the better he'll be.

And watching the Clippers-Magic game last night I was impressed with Darko who will never live up to the number two draft pick of the '03 draft (ahead of 'Melo, DWade and Bosh). But he will be fine. He is long, athletic, is a good ball handler and a good weak side shot blocker. In a few years he is going to be a consistent 16 and 8 guy if not better. I also realized last night that Magic center Dwight Howard is the second coming of Moses Malone as Bill simmons has pointed out. He is an absolute beast in the paint. He is the strongest hands in the league and he uses his lower body extremely well when moving other guys under the basket. He also never gets called for fouls because he's bumping guys so subtly. Once he adds a short hook shot to his offensive game he is going to be unstoppable. I said at the start of the year I thought Chris Bosh would become the best big man in the east this year. I was wrong, it's Howard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home