The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

NHL Finals.

I think my record to this point in the NHL playoffs is 9-5 but I can't be bothered looking back to check.

This should be one hell of a good final though as for the first team in years the best team from each conference is actually in the Final (actually I guess it happened last year too it's just played out badly with the Sens getting killed by the Ducks).

Detroit Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

A lot of friends kept asking me my I picked the Penguins to win the east this year as early as the day that the Sens knocked them out last year and my answer has been the same every day since then - they remind me of the 80's Oilers. I'm not saying they are as good as those teams but they are the closest thing since. With Malkin and Crosby you have the best two centers in the league (Gretzky-Messier), you have other young guys who can score and you have a young potentially great goalie in Fluery (the Oilers had Fuhr). And their progression is on the same track. The first Oilers playoff team lost to the Kings in the first round (like the Pens did last year) then made the Finals the next year losing to the more experienced, deeper Islanders with a better goalie, then won 4 Cups in 5 years.

Well this is exactly the same thing. The Pens are going to lose this series because the Red Wings have better defence and know it may be their last chance just as the Islanders did 23 years ago. But the Pens are going to win the next three Cups so you better get used to them now.

I can see two scenarios where the Pens win this year though. The first is that Chris Osgood doesn't play well for Detroit. I just don't think that's going to happen though. The second is that Gary Bettman rigs this thing so that Crosby wins. I'm not sure that's in the league's best interest though. I think having the veteran Wings win in 7 and then play up the "This year they won't be denied" thing with the Pens next year is the best marketing plan for the league. But of course since that is in the leagues best interest Bettman will screw it up and make sure the Pens win this year.

Wings in 6

Leaf notes:

The Hammer suggested John Tortorella as the next Leafs head coach. I agree with him but probably not for the same reason. I actually think Torts is an overrated coach and a complete asshole (he's a younger, less successful version of Mike Keenan and yes I know Torts won a Cup) but he would be absolutely worth the price of admission just to watch Tortorella deal with the Leaf media. And then having him and next GM Brian Burke together would be hilarious. They would be rippin' on each other and the media at the same time.

The thing with the Leafs is that they really don't need a fire-breathing coach. They need to buy out guys like McCabe and Kubina and go with their young guys. Torts isn't a guy who can work in that situation. As I've said before I would happily watch the Leafs go 14-70 next year just to ensure they get the first pick and John Tavares. So in that sense maybe I do want them to get Torts. He'll be even more fun to watch if the team is absolutely terrible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home