The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, May 28, 2007

More Of What The NHL Needs.



If things like this happened on the Versus channel on a regular basis, maybe some in the US would actually watch the games and Gary Bettman could sign a TV deal that gets the league some actual money up front.

- My friends from across the country have been calling to ask me how crazy Ottawa is right now. My answer is always the same - It's about as crazy as Ottawa can get, which isn't very because Ottawa's a lame sports town that can't even come up with an original name for it's version of Calgary's Red Mile.

More surprising to me is that my friends in Calgary and Vancouver have both told me their friends are not cheering for the Sens because of their "obnoxious fans". I've always found Sens fans very fair weather, especially those bandwagon jumping "fans" who rip the team all year then last week donned Sens garb, took off work and attended a Sens rally at City Hall, and very smug, but not obnoxious. So congrats Sens fans, you are now thought of with the same regard as the Leaf fans you hate so much.

As for the Leafs vs. Sens rivalry, it is a MUCH bigger deal for Sens fans because the Sens are only in their 14th season and have played the Leafs four times in the playoffs already. If it were the Habs the Sens had played four times, I think that would be the big rivalry for Sens fans. Yeah, there are some Leaf fans openly rooting against the Sens, but most are either indifferent or are actually hoping the Sens win because they are a Canadian team (for the record the Ducks have 20 Canadians in their lineup, the Sens 11, so the Cup is going to be won by Canada regardless). Personally, as I've said before, I have nothing against the Sens as an entity, I just hate Spezza, Alfie, and Redden. But I love Fisher, and really like guys like Phillips, Emery, and Comrie so I wouldn't mind seeing guys like that win.

On the whole Leaf fans view the Sens as that team that whips our ass every regular season game and plays their home games in the middle of a cornfield. There really isn't enough history there yet to really hate them the way we hate the Habs or Blackhawks (who aren't even that much fun to hate anymore they have become so bad. The way Bill Wirtz has destroyed that team is akin to the Ballard years) who I would be openly rooting against if they were in the Finals.

- Mark Spector wrote in the Post Friday he thinks Ballsillie should move the RIMjobs to Toronto. While I think it would work it will never happen because the teachers won't let it. I'd like to see them give it a go in Hamilton. If Ottawa can support a team, Hamilton can. It has enough of a population within an hours drive to succeed.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

I would like to state for the record that while I attended said rally (one block away from my office), I left it early, missed no time from work, didn't buy a thing except for wings from the St. Louis truck and have unapologetically worn my NJD sweater since they got beat out by the Sens.

Keep in mind that those who equate the obnoxiousness of Sens fans with Leaf fans are also going to see the Sens in the Cup final, so there's at least a little more for Ottawa fans to be obnoxious about.

 
At 9:28 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Skeelo said...

I wasn't actually referring to you as I didn't know you went.

I was actually referring to people like a certain bureaucrat friend of ours who we watched game one of the Sens-Pens series with who is a fan of the Leafs,no wait Oilers, no wait Canucks, no wait the Sens. Yeah he's a huge Sens fan now and wears their jersey. And their are a lot more like him.

 
At 10:02 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger mix tape said...

Yes, I know that fan you're talking about. Was rather gay to see him gloat and others partake in the celebrations that ensued after the Sens conference finals victory.

After that little experiment, I've decided to watch my last two games this week without bandwagon bozos but moreso hometown folks.

 
At 12:07 PM, May 28, 2007, Blogger Road Hammer said...

I know. I was just stating it for the record so that no one can cast aspersions on me and my loyalty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home