The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Random TV Thoughts.

- Every time I watch TSN hockey panels I have to take a couple of minutes pause to remember that it is not a comedy show. How else do you explain calling Mike Milbury and John Ferguson Jr. "Experts"? Having those two analyzing trades and contracts is just hilarious. Milbury is without question the worst GM of the last 30 years and Ferguson Jr. would likely be in that argument if he had five years more experience.

- With the writer's strike killing all new shows for the past couple of months I was desperate to watch anything that wasn't a rerun the other night so I watched the new show Quarterlife. Without the slightest bit of exaggeration Ms. Skeelo turned to each other 90 seconds into it and said "I hate this show". We forced ourselves to watch the full hour as punishment for tuning into it in the first place. It was the single worst hour of television I have watched in at least four years.

The show revolves around six twentysomethings who are so horrendously self absorbed and melodramatic I hope to God real people their age can't relate. The dialogue was so insipid and ridiculously introspective, in a pathetic "what I am doing here? what does it all mean?" kind of way, that I think the generation behind mine could be completely fucked (then again we are talking about a generation who think Jon Stewart is a credible source for nightly news). When I was 24 my friends and I may not have been completely sure what we wanted to do (hell I'm 32 and don't know what I want to be when I grow up) but we were driven enough to embrace what we were doing and did it well.

Here's a hint for TV producers everywhere. If you are going to develop a horrible show at least have an attractive cast to make up for it a bit. At least the rumour is that Quarterlife will be mercifully canceled before it's second episode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home