The Pursuit Of Leisure

100% correct, 50% of the time. A tongue in cheek look at culture both high and low.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Davinci's City Hall says Goodbye.

It's a sad day for quality Canadian TV. Yes that's right, I said quality Canadian TV. Davinci's City Hall has been cancelled by CBC. I can't really say I'm surprised by the decision to cancel the show. While it was time to move Davinci from the coroner's office to the Mayor's office, the show was too political in nature to gain an audience. I had planned to write a review for this show soon, but now there is now no need. I will say that I think this show, and it's predecessor Davinci's Inquest, were the best Canadian dramas ever made. The storylines, often straight from the headlines, could be infuriating at times because they took forever to resolve, if they did at all, but the acting, writing, directing, and use of the sites and sounds of Vancouver made this a very enjoyable show to follow for the last eight seasons. The show also garnered critical acclaim in the US and can be seen in syndication in many major US markets, a rarity for Canadian shows. It was a strong defense in the case for CANCON. In fact, I think it was the only defense for CANCON.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home